Happy New Year, folks!
I hope you had a wonderful and restful break filled and lots of quality time with your friends and family. I hope you also had some equally as important “me time,” a large component of which involves actually taking care of yourself. For medical students especially, self-care often falls to the bottom of our priority lists. However, it’s imperative that you make sure you’re carving out at least a few minutes a day for yourself.
One thing that I am trying to get serious about is a better morning routine. My friends know that I am pretty lazy and have a hard time getting out of bed. The inevitable rush leads to quick shower, some hair product to tame the mane, and maybe some lotion if I’m lucky. With January in full-blown winter mode + a v timely Christmas gift from Anthony, I consider myself a lucky guy!
Ever since joining Equinox and becoming that guy, Ant’s been obsessed with Kiehl’s. I saw it all over IG but wasn’t sure what the hype was about. I am now a fan. This post is NOT sponsored, I just want to show you some cool stuff!
The “Jeremyville – Healthy Skin for Him” Collection, which is pretty affordable for $26 at Nordstrom, comes in a cool box designed by Brooklyn-based artist, Jeremyville.
The set comes with an assortment of Kiehl’s products to get your day going:
– Facial Fuel Energizing Face Wash (2.5 oz.): an efficient and energizing facial cleanser that thoroughly removes dirt, surface oil and impurities without an over-drying effect and is easily rinsed off.
– Facial Fuel No-Shine Moisturizing Lip Balm (0.15 oz.): a no-shine moisturizing lip balm that temporarily protects and helps relieve chapped or cracked lips.
– Body Fuel All-In-One Energizing Wash Hair & Body Cleanser for Men (2.5 oz.): an invigorating cleanser for your body and hair that gently removes excess oil, sweat and impurities.
– Facial Fuel Energizing Moisture Treatment for Men (0.5 oz.): a vitamin-enriched and energizing non-oily moisturizer that wakens and uplifts dull, fatigued skin.
– Close-Shavers Squadron™ Smooth Glider Precision Shave Lotion (0.5 oz.): a protective and hydrating lotion formula that melts on contact with skin for a high-precision shave and shields skin from razor burn.
My favorite piece of the bunch is the Energizing Face Wash. I find it very refreshing – I’m assuming due to the menthol. Fun fact, menthol interacts with the transient receptor potential cation channel subfamily M member 8 (TRPM8) which affects Ca2+ binding and gives the sensation of a refreshing coolness as if TRPM8 were responding to the cold. I’m not familiar with the literature on caffeine or Vitamin E and skincare, but if my dermatologist friends could fill me in, please do so! The thing I love most about the wash is doesn’t dry out my skin, as other cleansers I’ve used have a tendency to do so. I have somewhat oily skin and it seems to be pretty under control, again without feeling dried out.
I just slap on a little of the moisturizer and lip balm and head out – pretty simple. As always, no skincare routine will be effective if you don’t drink water to stay hydrated!
Get anything cool under the tree or have any skincare tips you’d like to share? Let me know in the comments below or on my Instagram!